Everyone loves a bright smile. Commit to these five habits for two weeks and watch your teeth get whiter – naturally!
1. Drop your morning coffee or black tea and opt for green or white teas, which are less staining.
2. Brush your teeth after eating and drinking, especially when you consume foods known to stain teeth, such as:
- Dark beverages (wine, juice, coffee, tea)
- Curry or turmeric
- Dark sauces, such as tomato and soy sauce/tamari
*It’s important to hold off on brushing for at least 30 minutes if you consume acidic foods such as tomato sauce or (gasp!) soda. Instead, rinse your mouth well with water.
3. Eat crunchy fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, celery and raw cauliflower. These foods are lightly abrasive on the teeth and helpful for removing stains.
4. Swish coconut oil around in your mouth every day for 10-20 minutes. It may sound strange but swishing coconut oil (“oil pulling”) in addition to brushing and flossing helps to prevent plaque from forming and leaves an addictively clean feeling in the mouth. You can do this while you are in the shower or checking emails. Just be sure to spit out the oil when you are done!
5. Once a day, brush your teeth with strawberries. “Strawberry paste” is a common natural tooth-whitener because the vitamin C in the berries can effectively brighten teeth. With a fork, mash a couple of large strawberries into a paste and pile it onto your toothbrush. Apply the paste to your the teeth, leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse very well with water.