Mornings at my house used to be so stressful and my head would be spinning by 7a.m. It wasn’t the way I wanted to start our day, but so much needed to get done. Does this sound all too familiar? Luckily, I am in touch with my body, and it was telling me this had to stop! Something had to change. It was time to implement a realistic routine that would help all of us start off on the right foot. Now that we have our routine down, I can’t imagine going back. Of course, there are times that it doesn’t happen due to early morning meetings or sick kiddos, but we can get back on track pretty quickly.
My morning routine is pretty simple, and, for now, it is foolproof in getting all of us out the door in a calm manner. My head does not spin anymore. Hooray! I encourage you to figure out what works for you so that you feel ready to take on the day and not pull your hair out.
1. The first thing I do is drink digestive tea made up of ginger, cardamom and honey. I find that this concoction gets things going and wakes me up in a natural and calming way.
2. The second thing I do is take my thyroid meds. It is very important that I take these on time, so I actually set an alarm to remind me to take them. Read here for some important thyroid tips.
3. Third, I meditate, pray or exercise. Sometimes I do all three! When my kids were younger, I did not do any of these on a regular basis. Now that these practices are a part of my routine, I really wish I had carved out the time when they were younger. It is a time for me to connect with myself, which makes me a better wife, mother, friend, and doctor.
4. Next, I prep our breakfasts. The star ingredient is usually some sort of protein like eggs or a protein shake as protein keeps us going until lunch.
5. Fifth, I pack our lunches. The 15-minutes it takes to pack lunches is worth it! If my husband and I bring our lunches, we are much less likely to go out and spend money on food that is likely loaded with sodium and unnecessary carbs.
6. After packing lunches, I drink apple cider vinegar and water. I mix a ½ cup of warm water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I used to drink coffee in the morning, but apple cider vinegar and warm water has taken my caffeine craving away. Apple cider vinegar has so many benefits including helping to fight inflammation in the body.
7. Lastly, I eat rice cakes with coconut oil (or olive oil). This ensures I get a good serving of healthy fat, which helps to keep me satisfied, and I love a little crunch from the brown rice cake. Sometimes I’ll even lightly toast the rice cake before spreading or drizzling the oil on top!