Are you worried about whether or not your kids are getting enough protein? You are not alone. This is a very common concern among the parents whose kids come to see me. As parents, we have enough to worry about…are they getting enough sleep? eating too much sugar? should I be giving them dairy? do they need to be gluten-free?
Take a deep breath…exhale.
Try not to be so hard on yourself. Your kids are fortunate that you care so much!
Now, when it comes to protein, I recommend children get anywhere from .5 to 1 grams of protein per kg. If every meal and snack contains some protein, they should be getting enough. Unfortunately, kids are eating more than their fair share of junk food most of which is void of adequate protein and nutrition (not to mention loaded with refined sugars).
Try a few of the ideas below as a way to get your kids to eat more protein throughout the day!
- Healthy breakfast recipes
- Eggs-fried, baked, with cheese or try adding twice the amount in favorite pancakes and muffin recipes!
- Nut butter/Sunflower seed butter
- Organic Greek yogurt
- Edamame – great afternoon snack
- Hummus and colorful veggies
- Roasted chickpeas (sweet or savory)
- Trail mix
- Fish sticks coated in coconut flour
- Chicken tenders coated in almond meal
- Sloppy Joe’s
- Quinoa salad in a wrap
- Build-your-own fajitas with chicken and beans
- Cherry cocoa chia pudding