Eating organic food, using supplements and undergoing in-depth testing can seem costly. However, many people find it’s worth it to heal the body rather than treating or masking the symptoms. In this column I take common medical issues and offer my unique integrative approach. I like to think of it as Expanding Your Options!
All too often, I hear from patients that they are suffering from insomnia, which is classified as trouble falling and staying asleep at least three nights a week for about three months. According to a report on the CDC’s website, an estimated 50-70 million adults have sleep or wakefulness disorder!
My integrative approach for those affected by the symptoms of insomnia depends on the individual, but often includes some of the following:
- Don’t have caffeine after 12pm
- Abstain from all alcoholic beverages
- Incorporate magnesium (200-400mg at night)
- For those having trouble falling asleep, use melatonin (3mg)
- For those waking up in the middle of the night, take magnolia bark (300mg)
- Have your physician check your hormone levels
- Lower cortisol levels through regular massage, acupuncture and yoga