To me, summer is a time for slowing down, catching up with family and friends, taking family vacations, and enjoying time by the pool! It is also a time for social gatherings outside and happy hours. There is a sense of “wanting to let loose” in the summer, which I totally understand, but we still need to stay focused on our health goals. Unfortunately, most of the food and drinks associated with BBQs and happy hours wreak havoc on our skin because they are loaded with sugar, salt, and trans fat. I would much rather have skin that looks hydrated and healthy in the summer than trade it for short-term satisfaction.
Here are my top 5 favorite foods for glowing summer skin:
- Avocado is nature’s perfect beauty food. It moisturizes our skin when we ingest it and apply it topically in the form of a mask. Also, our skin needs fat in order to stay hydrated, so avocadoes are an excellent choice because they are loaded with fatty acids.
- Chia seeds are small, but mighty. They are high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory. The less inflammation we have in our bodies, the more radiant our skin will be. Try my Cherry Cocoa Chia Pudding for glowing skin and a happy belly!
- Cucumbers are extremely hydrating for the skin because they are made up of mostly water. You can put them on your eyes, use them as dippers with your favorite hummus, or add them to your favorite summer salad.
- Radishes are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, both of which can help to protect against skin damage. Try eating some sliced radishes by themselves while cooking dinner! Delicious.
- Watermelon is a powerhouse when it comes to our skin. It is 92% water, which helps to hydrate our skin, therefore promoting the production of collagen. It is also loaded with vitamin A, which may help to reduce the size of our pores. I don’t know about you, but smaller pores sound good to me!
So avoid the heavy BBQ food, drinks and desserts that are loaded with sugar, and load-up on the good stuff. Prepare yourself to feel radiant and happy this summer!