While cellulite can affect women and men, almost 80% of women deal with cellulite at some point in their lives. The hormones estrogen and insulin are responsible for cellulite, with too much estrogen causing the dimpling and “orange peel” look on the back of thighs, abdomen or arms. Some people are blessed and never experience these unwanted dimples, but I am here to tell you that it is natural and it happens to many. The good news is that there are foods and lifestyle patterns that improve the appearance of cellulite.
Before we get to the good stuff, it is important to understand what cellulite is. Cellulite is mainly genetic, and affects women no matter their size, race, or body type. Both athletic women and sedentary women can have it. Cellulite is subcutaneous fat pockets just below the top layer of the skin called the epidermis.
Here are my favorite ways to lessen or even get rid of cellulite naturally:
- Drink water. We have all been told to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, but when it comes to cellulite water can help to wash excess fluids out of the body. Drink at least 100 oz of water per day and look for high water foods like celery, watermelon and cucumbers. Water flushes excess toxins and cleans the liver and the gut, balancing hormones and keeping fatty deposits away.
- Move your body. You can’t out exercise cellulite, but you can help to decrease the appearance through movement. You don’t have to go to CrossFit 5 days a week. Simply getting out for a walk each day will help. And add two to three days of 15-minutes worth of strength training with resistance bands or light weights.
- Essential oils. I am a huge fan of essential oils. The best essential oils for cellulite are grapefruit and other citrus oils, including lemon or orange oil. Citrus oils, in particular, help to detoxify the body. Remember to dilute and mix essential oils with your favorite carrier like coconut or jojoba oil.
- Lose the refined sugars and carbohydrates. Any foods that affect insulin regulation impact the formation of cellulite. Choose high protein foods, like chicken or nuts to balance estrogen and insulin.
- Drink green tea and lemon water. Lemons clean up the liver, helping to detoxify estrogen, while green tea balances insulin.
- Cupping therapy. We offer cupping therapy at our integrative spa, and it works. Cupping therapy releases rigid soft tissue, drains excess fluids and toxins, loosens adhesions and lifts connective tissue—bringing blood flow to stagnant skin and muscles. Check with a therapist near you who offers cupping therapy, and be sure to start out slowly and work up to frequent treatment.
Follow these rules and integrative treatment ideas to help minimize your cellulite and lose weight!