There is no question that the healthiest place to eat is in your very own kitchen! The problem that many of us run into is not having enough time to cook especially during the week. It is much easier to grab a scone and coffee at the local coffee shop, order takeout, or go out to dinner when the stress of the day is more than we can handle. In an effort to save money and my family’s health, I learned how to batch cook so that I always have something ready to grab, reheat, or use a as base for a quick meal. I spend a few hours on the weekend cooking after grocery shopping.
If saving hours in the kitchen by batch cooking sounds appealing, get your pots, pans, knives, blender, and glass Tupperware ready! Below are a few of my favorite things to make ahead of time. I know you can do it – try it on a Sunday afternoon while the kids are playing or doing homework, and the hubby is taking a snooze. Even better, get your little ones involved and spend some quality time together!
Note: I do not make everything on the list. I pick and choose from each category and double or triple what I would normally make for one meal/snack for my family. Then warm and enjoy it all week.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Chopped up seasonal fruit (sprinkle a tiny bit of Stevia, only if necessary)
- Chia pudding
- Egg muffins
- Protein pancakes
Lunch and Dinner
- Quinoa (I like to use quinoa as a base for a quick and easy chicken and veggie stir-fry.)
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- Roasted seasonal vegetables
- Salad dressing
- Soups (so easy to freeze!)
- Chicken breasts – baked, roasted or grilled
- Gluten-free granola
- Trail mix (I like to combine nuts, seeds, goji berries, and/or dark chocolate chips)
- Homemade Hummus (love using the Vitamix)
- Cut up crunchy veggies