A question I get often from my female patients – a million dollar question – is what can I do to help keep my man healthy?
While I do not know the guy in your life, I have seen many male patients over the years and I also happen to be married to one. I’ll tell you, while this sweet husband of mine may be an expert on pulling teeth (he happens to be a dentist), I have learned a thing or two over the years, helping him stay on track with his health. Although, I will say it isn’t such a struggle anymore! Based on years of experience, I offer you…
Tips on how to nudge your man to better health
1. Remember that healthy living is a journey and it is to each his own. Rather than trying to single-handedly move a mountain overnight, trust that there will be opportunities to plant seeds along the way.
2. Keep it brief. Drop a line here and there. Print up an inspiring article and leave it lying around (maybe one of my posts from this week). Leave a post-it on his computer when it’s time to schedule his annual – and remind him to be open and honest with his doctor during the appointment! “Get your money’s worth.”
3. Take notice of healthy things he does and offer a little praise. “With all of that lycopene-laced salsa you eat you are going to have the healthiest prostrate on the block!”
4. Don’t talk…move! Your husband will be so inspired seeing you all aglow and energized after your nightly walk that he may just get off the couch himself.
5. Juice together! Fresh-pressed juices are delicious, offer an instant energy boost and provide a myriad of powerful nutrients in a single glass. Offer him a sip here and soon enough he will be making requests.
6. Add “and it keeps your hair follicles healthy!” as an automatic tagline to everything you suggest. Let’s face it, this will get his interest.
It’s true – premature hair loss will slow as he moves toward more optimal health. Addressing food sensitivities and boosting gut health, eating an anti-inflammatory diet, drinking detoxifying juices (such as this refreshing liver detox juice), and taking supplements I recommend for general men’s health all contribute to healthier hair follicles.
7. Turn it around onto yourself. Men love to support us so ask him to help you stay on track (*wink, wink*). Give concrete examples of how he can help – maybe you can go for a quick walk/run in the mornings, cook a healthy dinner together twice a week or move the coffee table and do some stretching during your favorite show.
8. Give the gift of supplements. Throw a bottle of b’s into the gift bag along with his virtual golf eyewear or Millennium Falcon bottle opener. He’ll get the drift.
Top supplements for men at various stages in their lives
Top Men’s Health Issues
Earlier we discussed the top health issues that a man may encounter. My men’s health bundle contains supplements that help keep his heart, colon and prostate healthy!
People rarely talk about postpartum depression in men but it is a very real thing. One study in Pediatrics showed that new dads (who became fathers around the age of 25) noticed a 68% increase in depression symptoms over the next 5 years.1 The stress from the added responsibility of a baby, fears of inadequacy as a father and loss of freedom are just some of the many things that can burden new dads.
If you notice that his blues are persisting, it’s important that he seeks counseling to keep himself and the family dynamic healthy. Supplements can also help. I often recommend a b-complex and ashwaganda (an adaptogenic herb that helps during times of stress) to help men get through this time.
Andropause (“Male Menopause”)
When men are in their late 30s to early 40s there begins a slow decline of testosterone levels. This subtle and gradual hormone shift is much different than the drastic change experienced by women as they stop ovulating, but over time it can cause symptoms such as sexual problems, fatigue, moodiness and loss of strength. These issues can be greatly counteracted with a healthy lifestyle – diet, exercise and supplementation as needed. Here are some supplements to consider:
- 7 keto DHEA or DHEA – 25mg
- a daily b-vitamin complex
- arginine 500mg – 1 gram
- Gingko biloba – 500mg
Now it’s your turn! How do you keep the man in your life healthy?